Sunday, March 30, 2008

A Day of Pics, and Whiskey's New Name

I ended up giving Whiskey his new name. Of course I did. After all the moaning and groaning about wanting to be the one to name him, Glenn couldn't come up with anything good. Shadowfax, Legolas, Gimli, Spitfire... blech. So from now on, Whiskey's name is Maverick. Not the Tom Cruise Maverick of Top Gun fame, but more the Mel Gibson type Maverick in the corny, yet entertaining western.

We made some pretty good progress yesterday during our two walks to the yard for grass. He stood still and let me curry him from head to butt on both sides, AND I was able to actually spray his mane with Show Sheen and comb out all of the knots! Now if I could just take a pair of scissors to those turd balls on his stomach I'd be thrilled! While out in the yard I had a slight doggy emergency and had to run in the house. I didn't want to tie him up to anything, and he looked so happy eating that I just dropped the rope and ran into the house. A few minutes later I came back out of the house and expected him to be running around the yard free as a bird. He hadn't moved. He was still stuffing his face with grass and allowed me to walk right up to him and pick up the lead rope. Woohoo! It's the little things in life that tickle me pink these days. :)




He's slowly starting to learn that humans might not be all that bad... especially when they know where to scratch.



He's still in the cattle pen for now, the weather has warmed up nicely even tho it's still rains almost every day. The pastures are growing like crazy and I'm hoping to turn him out with Junior before it gets so lush that I have to worry about founder. I don't feel comfortable turning him out in a 10 acre pasture until he's more comfortable with being caught. Catching a horse in a 20x20 cattle pen is hard enough when he doesn't want to be caught!

A few weeks ago, Glenn joined the Arbor Day Foundation for a whopping 10 bucks and got 10 free trees and a Lilac. What a deal. Of course, you couldn't pick which trees you got for free and they're so small they suggest planting them all in a little group with some protection and let them grow for a year. Then you can rip them up transplant them to their "forever home". So today I let the little buggers soak for awhile, then went out with the "crew" and planted: 2- Sargent Crabapples, 2 Eastern Redbuds (these grow wild on the side of the road in VA where we came from), 2 White Flowering Dogwoods (doesn't EVERYONE have these??? how boring), 2 Washington Hawthorns, 2 Goldenrain trees, and 1 fragrant Lilac. This wore out the crew and they are all currently napping. Jilly Bean finds curling up to Heidi's butt warm, but a little stinky now and then.



Jack prefers to have the couch to himself so he can stretch out and really get in a good nap.






And to end this post on a rainy, dreary, and chilly day I post a pic of our place from last summer, the first time we came here to look at the place. Here's to dreaming of warm sunny days and green pastures.




No comments: