Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Calypso

Thor and Xena have been gone long enough that I no longer cry when I think of them.  There’s just a small catch in my throat when I say their names.  We’ve come to believe that someone has shot them for whatever real or imagined crimes they may have committed.  It’s odd that the flyers and calls to the local shelters every week have been unsuccessful.  Hopefully, I’m wrong and someone is remaining quiet about their whereabouts simply because they love the dogs and have chosen to keep them. 

Anyways, on to Calypso.  A woman not far from us raises mules and this past winter while I was out driving with Glenn she emailed me and asked if I had any mules for adoption.  We started communicating on a regular basis and became email pals.  Shortly after we returned home and I told her about Thor and Xena, she emailed and said she had sold one of her puppies, but the woman no longer wanted her and could I please take her?  I was prepared to say no, but then the GBH saw the puppy pictures and I no longer had a say in the matter.

Please meet Calypso.  She’s a four month old Blue Heeler/Bull Dog cross and she’s smarter than me.

IMG_4899


Heidi thinks Calypso is as much fun to play with (and chew on) as Xena.

IMG_4878


I just want to call her Jabba.

IMG_4881


She had been kept in a crate most of the time at her old home and had a big fat belly when we got her.  She had no muscling along her back and her little backbone stuck out.  It took a week of playing with our dogs and helping me around the farm for her to lose the belly and gain muscle.  I only wish it worked that fast for me!
IMG_4944


While she will never replace Thor or Xena, we love her like crazy already and are glad she came in to our lives.
IMG_4942

Even if she were as dumb as a box of rocks, she’s still adorable.

2 comments:

Lena said...

What a cutiepie! I love that little face! :-) Although I am too sad about Thor and Xena, Calypso will make them proud, I am sure of it. :-) And my word verification has the word "dog" in it. That must mean something!

wvfarmgirl said...

She is adorable and just as smart as Xena, if not smarter. Which means she's even more trouble! lol