It’s come to the point where I have to ask for help. I have never begged for donations before and have taken pride in the fact that we’ve been able to keep these horses fed and vetted on our own, but it’s time to swallow my pride before anything else goes wrong. Before I come straight out and beg, I think it’s important that I tell you why this has come to pass.
As you know from a previous post, I recently got my CDL and came out on the road with Glenn to team drive and make the money necessary to get the horses through the winter. We had hired, and spent five weeks training, Lee to live on the farm and take care of the horses and dogs for us until my return in April.
Without getting into too much detail, Lee wrecked our 4wd truck, which is the only way we have to get hay rolls into the pasture since we don’t have access to a tractor. He told us he’d get his own insurance because adding him to ours was cost prohibitive, due to his driving record. He did not get insurance. We’re looking at almost $1,000 in parts to fix the truck and we will be taking it to the local adult education school for the mechanics class to fix in order to avoid labor costs. About 10 days after he wrecked the truck he became seriously ill and has been in the hospital for almost two weeks now and has had several operations already. He would not be physically able to return to work even if we would take him back after what he’s done.
On December 4th, Glenn and I drove all night under a load to make it home Saturday morning to try and straighten things out. Friends had been feeding for us until we could get home, so no one was starving. Or so we thought. When we got home Saturday morning I walked into the house, fell to my knees, and wept. Lee had not been letting the dogs out so the house was full of “accidents” and the doors and windows were torn up from them trying to escape confinement (this all happened before Lee went into the hospital). Jelly the cat is still missing and presumed dead. The other cats, Lucky, Noodle, and Lucifer, were home, but hungry. Cody and Lucifer were both emaciated. Our bed was covered in urine. Our friends had warned me that the house was a wreck, but I had no idea things were that bad!
When I went outside to take stock of the horses I did not like what I saw. The easy keepers all looked fine, but the horses requiring a lot of grain looked terrible! Seven horses in all had lost weight since my departure just a month before. The horses had no hay and the neighbor said he’d only seen a few bales out in the field at a time, even though there were plenty of square bales in the barn. As it turns out, Lee had been feeding the “emergency” square bales before he wrecked the truck, for reasons I can’t fathom.
It doesn’t end there, ya’ll.
That same Saturday, we hired someone else. I was hesitant because he lived 45 minutes away, but he assured me that he didn’t mind making the trip and would be there every morning. He also didn’t mind using his 4wd truck to haul round bales and water until we could get our truck fixed. It was just supposed to be him feeding and his wife would work if he had a big project, like putting up new fence.
It should take a maximum of two hours to feed everyone in the morning. The first morning he worked, he charged us for 10 hours because he insisted that his wife helped him and they each worked for five hours. When asked what they did, the list of things he produced could have been done by me in four hours, by myself. He continued to double and triple charge us all week and let us know a few days ago that he could only continue to feed for a couple more weeks because it was too far to drive. Now he’s just hauling hay twice a week and water as needed until our truck is fixed. We’ve found someone else to feed for us who will hopefully be more honest and not try to take advantage of the situation. He can’t live there, but yesterday morning was his first day and he drove a four-wheeler almost 20 miles over the icy roads in 18 degree temperatures just to get there! Jamie, the ACO for our county, has been our savior this whole time and she met him out there to show him the ropes. She’s also cleaning our house for us since we couldn’t stay home long enough to clean it up ourselves. Jamie… what would we do without you??? And another big thanks to Brannon, our farrier, for doing an emergency feeding the day we learned that Lee was in the hospital. You guys are the best!!
We have hired another person to move in and take care of things, but he can’t start until the 26th. He and his wife were planning on moving here from Arizona in the Spring, but when Eve’s adopter told him of our plight he immediately started packing. He’s coming up on the 26th and his wife will move up with their horses in the spring. After talking with him on the phone I’m comfortable with his knowledge and work ethic, but I’ve obviously been wrong before! Glenn and I are going to be home for a few days on the 26th to get him moved in and teach him whatever we can in such a short time. Jamie will be there to help him with any other problems once we’re back out on the road.
So there it is. The past month’s story, somewhat condensed. Thanks to good friends feeding for us since Lee left, the seven horses are regaining their weight and everyone has hay in front of them 24/7. The dogs now have a doggie door and can come and go as they please.
People keep asking me why I don’t just go back home. Trust me, I’d love to!!! But thanks to the unseasonably cold weather: 1) the horses are eating 18 hay rolls a week, 2) we need more trough heaters, extension cords, and pipe insulation to keep the pipe to the spring-fed tank from freezing, 3) we now need to pay two people to do the job of one because the truck isn’t fixed, 4) and we need to fix the truck. I can’t afford to go home, no matter how much I’d like to. Did I look for a local job before I left? Of course! Trying to find a job in our area that fits my experience was fruitless. When companies like Tractor Supply, Lowes, and Krogers look at a resume like mine, “over qualified” is usually the response. After several months of job searching, this is where I have ended up for the winter, for better or for worse.
So here’s where I beg. The horses are being fed, no worries there. But if we can get our truck fixed it would mean paying one less person to feed, and hay and water could be gotten as soon as it’s needed. I know it’s almost Christmas and money is tight for everyone. Horse Haven Hollow has 185 fans on Facebook and if everyone donates just $5 that should be enough to buy the parts for the truck and get it fixed.
Sorry for the long post, but I didn’t want to beg without telling you the circumstances that brought me to this point. If you can find it in your heart to help us out with a few bucks, you can use paypal and send it to horsehavenholler@frontiernet.net. If you’d feel better sending something material, trough heaters safe for plastic troughs would be appreciated!
Thanks to everyone who has supported us thus far and thanks in advance to those who can help now!
6 comments:
will do, will share. ..too. I'm so sorry guys :(
great blog! i learn few things in this post, thanks for the share.
I certainly know how you feel about asking for help. That's because a real honest person would try their very best to do what they could until there is no more that they can do. It's hard to ask for monetary help but sometimes we just have to.
I would be glad to send you a few bucks, it's not much but it's something. When I am able to send more I will do so.
I hope things get better for you.
YD
Done. I think you're fab.
Thanks to everyone who has donated so far, and thank you for the kind words, YD! I would especially like to thank Matt, who has generously sent us all the trough heaters and extension cords that we need!
Done! It's so hard to leave our animals because things like this happen. I hope your new hirees can give you some peace of mind.
Post a Comment